The Florida SouthWestern State College Department of Intercollegiate Athletics believes that by providing a nationally competitive athletics program, it naturally supports the mission of the college “to inspire learning; prepare a diverse population for creative and responsible participation in a global society; and serve as a leader for intellectual, economic, and cultural awareness in the community.”
The FSW athletics department’s mission is to continually enhance a program that attracts, develops and graduates student-athletes who, under the guidance of high-quality staff, experience not only academic growth, but also social and professional growth. The qualities of the successful FSW student-athlete include teamwork, leadership, service, integrity, a strong work ethic, accountability and responsibility.
Through athletic and academic achievement, the athletics department will generate increased college visibility, promote institutional pride, enhance campus life and serve as a connection among students, alumni, fans, the southwest Florida community, and beyond.
- Maintain a culture which promotes and celebrates NJCAA compliance and standards, gender equity (Title IX compliance), diversity, sportsmanship and collegiality
- Create an environment that is fun and exciting for the student-athletes and supporters of the program
- Identify, attract and hire outstanding coaches and administrators who will then identify, attract and recruit the most talented student-athletes
- Build a nationally competitive, broad- based NJCAA program that will compete frequently in NJCAA Championships
- Provide student-athletes with appropriate academic resources to pursue academic excellence, achieve their degree, and then reach their career goals once they leave FSW
- Achieve local, regional and national recognition for academic excellence
- Provide student-athletes with the tools to succeed in their sport through the guidance of exceptional coaches, scholarship opportunities, and facility enhancement
- Prepare student-athletes, through community service, to be responsible citizens who make a positive impact on others
- Represent the College in an exemplary manner to fellow students, alumni, supporters, prospective students, the general public and the southwest Florida community as a whole